September 28, 2009

October 14, 2009

The 27th was our last full day in Greece.  We planned to explore Nafplion some more, find some other town to explore on the way to Athens and hit the airport late at night.  It didn’t quite work out that way.  It did start with exploring Nafplion but it’s not that large a town and soon we saw the passed stores we already explored.  We did, however, stumble upon a hiking trail that led away from the village, along the water.  The water was very blue and clear.  The trail sat about 10 feet above the water but I could still see schools of tiny fish.


Nafplion, viewed from above.

After our hike, we stopped at a cafe for a cup of coffee.  We opted for the outdoor seating and, as we sat there, a procession, complete with band, marched by us!  We still do not know the reason for it, but I think it had something to do with the weekend being declared a Greek heritage weekend.  We did not have to pay for entrance to the archaeological site in Olympia the day before for the same reason.

Marching band that went by as we enjoyed a cup of coffee.

Marching band that went by as we enjoyed a cup of coffee.


We ate lunch and headed out of town.  Our guidebook had either nothing or nothing good to say about any of the towns we passed on our way to Athens.  Early in our trip, we probably would have explored them anyway but at this point, we were just ready to move on to the next thing – Germany to visit N’s brother and his family.

Our flight was scheduled to leave at 4:30am and we’d need to be at the airport by 2:30am to check in so the plan was to not get a hotel room since we’d only be there a few hours.   We arrived much earlier than originally planned – 4:30pm rather than late evening.  We asked about the rates at the hotel airport – up until this point, we had paid between 60-85 euros per night and the hotel airport wanted 240 euros per night.  Back to plan A!

We had a drink at the hotel bar and made it last as long as possible.  Then, we headed over to the airport and began the long wait.  We checked out the shops, ate greasy food, dozed and read.  Finally, 2:30am came and we went to the check-in counter.  For the record, Czech Airlines has the worst line management skills I have ever seen.  Really frustrating.

In the end, our flight was delayed two hours, causing us to miss our connecting flight in Prague.  They booked us onto a different flight a couple of hours later but, for some reason, we could not figure out how to dial internationally on the public phones and so could not alert J and C about our late arrival.

When we finally arrived in Frankfurt, there was no one there to meet us.  N’s brothers had been there when we were supposed to arrive and they looked everywhere for us but since they had no idea where we were, they went home.  Luckily, C had the presence of mind to check if our first flight left on time so they knew we were safe, just not when we would arrive.

We called John once we arrived and he gave us directions for taking the train out to their house.  At this point, we were exhausted but we finally made it.  We ate some food, took a shower, had a nap, drank some coffee and felt good as new!

Margot learned how to needle felt with wool at a festival and Carole bought her some felting supplies.  We spent the next hour or so outside making felted pictures while Chloe played with play dough. 

Kevin is visiting for a couple of days so the boys drank and visited.  We had some lovely grilled sausages for dinner and sat around talking for as long as we could stay awake.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: